My EF81

Postby brebe85 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:10am

DireWolf wrote:In this context, "platform" means the hardware system and the basic software to run it. Then, small changes are made to it, such as presence/absence of Bluetooth, a clamshell hinge or voice dialing.
Different platforms have different abilities. Brew, for example, lets you run different apps simultaneously, and requires Java apps to be installed in this specific manner.


QUESTION: I have checked this "ability" and it doesn't work. I can run for example simultaneously "Calculator" and "Media Player".

Ok, I understand that I have task manager but for example Motorola V360 cand run Media player in background and it doesn't have BREW platform.
A35 -> A50 -> C65 -> SE K608 :( -> EF81 -> E71
brebe85
A step away from n00biness
A step away from n00biness
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby DireWolf » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:45am

Brew isn't the only OS with multitasking: like you said, others have it too.
And you can't run those two apps simultaneously because the Calculator, as well as the Unit Converter, are actually Java apps, and for some obscure reason the EF81 can't run Java apps together with the Media Player. The SXG75, however, can.
User avatar
DireWolf
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:29pm
Location: Barreiro, Portugal

Postby brebe85 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:51am

DireWolf wrote:Brew isn't the only OS with multitasking: like you said, others have it too.
And you can't run those two apps simultaneously because the Calculator, as well as the Unit Converter, are actually Java apps, and for some obscure reason the EF81 can't run Java apps together with the Media Player. The SXG75, however, can.


Ok, so I have a BREW phone. What can I do with it? Besides the fact that I must use a software to install my java apps (which is annoyng), I can't run multiple apps...
A35 -> A50 -> C65 -> SE K608 :( -> EF81 -> E71
brebe85
A step away from n00biness
A step away from n00biness
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby brebe85 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:02am

come on guys, tell me a reason why my BREW phone it's better than a phone without this feature.
A35 -> A50 -> C65 -> SE K608 :( -> EF81 -> E71
brebe85
A step away from n00biness
A step away from n00biness
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby Iver » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:11pm

brebe85 wrote:come on guys, tell me a reason why my BREW phone it's better than a phone without this feature.
Dunno..
I think brew sucks :P
Especially compared to the older siemens OS (R65, FE75...)

Negative things about BREW:

I hate the fact that my EF81 cannot run media player and java at the same time :bleh:
And why can't I rename my files' extension in the file explorer??
And I can't create hidden folders..
bleh.
3D java games don't run properly....
Also this thing about installing java via a data-cable and a program on the PC really sucks.

I'll never love my EF81 like I loved my SL45 and M65. :-|
Using now: Nokia Lumia 820
User avatar
Iver
Old Sk00l...
Old Sk00l...
 
Posts: 2722
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:00pm
Location: Norway

Postby DireWolf » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:03pm

Two advantages of BREW over others like FE75 are voice dialing and multitasking (the SXG75 can run Java apps while playing music, so that's not a limitation of the platform). But I think Siemens adopted BREW because it's the only platform supporting UMTS.
But indeed, I agree with FE75 being generally better than BREW.
User avatar
DireWolf
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:29pm
Location: Barreiro, Portugal

Postby brebe85 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:39pm

Ok, but what about the java apps installed by cable? It isn't any program to do this included in the phone. In my K608 I had this feature
A35 -> A50 -> C65 -> SE K608 :( -> EF81 -> E71
brebe85
A step away from n00biness
A step away from n00biness
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby SandStorm » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:03pm

Have you heard about JMI?

EF81 CD have this tool. This tool allow you to install games by cable.
User avatar
SandStorm
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 11447
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:53pm
Location: Portugal

Postby DireWolf » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:05pm

Also, BMC has a built-in Java install feature. It's even better than JMI, because it can create a JAD file if it's absent.
User avatar
DireWolf
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:29pm
Location: Barreiro, Portugal

Postby brebe85 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:11pm

No, i mean an included application in the phone memory to receive a file via bluetooth and install.

I know about JMI. 8)
A35 -> A50 -> C65 -> SE K608 :( -> EF81 -> E71
brebe85
A step away from n00biness
A step away from n00biness
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby SandStorm » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:15pm

For bmc go here:
http://bezysoftware.net/

Receive games by BT and install? Not possible. Only for themes.
Why? Anti-piracy fight.
User avatar
SandStorm
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 11447
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:53pm
Location: Portugal

Postby DireWolf » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:16pm

Java-enabled phones from Siemens up to the R65 platform used to allow that. FE75 and newer have that feature removed, maybe because of pressure from operators, because that made the process of pirating games much easier.
User avatar
DireWolf
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:29pm
Location: Barreiro, Portugal

Postby brebe85 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:46pm

DireWolf wrote:Java-enabled phones from Siemens up to the R65 platform used to allow that. FE75 and newer have that feature removed, maybe because of pressure from operators, because that made the process of pirating games much easier.


aha, i understand. :) I have an c65 and it works. It is R65?
A35 -> A50 -> C65 -> SE K608 :( -> EF81 -> E71
brebe85
A step away from n00biness
A step away from n00biness
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby DireWolf » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:53pm

Yes. All Siemens-made x65 phones are R65, except the A65.
User avatar
DireWolf
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:29pm
Location: Barreiro, Portugal

Postby brebe85 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:31pm

hi guys!

i'm back :P

the more i use the phone i start thinking that this phone was made on rush...

ok, i accept the fact that besides it is a BREW phone does not have anything related to it, but is there any possibility to activate the function which can filter the numbers who may call me?

this will be problem no. 3 :)
A35 -> A50 -> C65 -> SE K608 :( -> EF81 -> E71
brebe85
A step away from n00biness
A step away from n00biness
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby SandStorm » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:52pm

you can select the contacts you want, and store them in one group for unwanted callers.
all you have to do, is just configure that group with a empty sound file.

btw, what you ask, my BenQ S80 (Siemens SFG75) have it.
User avatar
SandStorm
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 11447
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:53pm
Location: Portugal

Postby brebe85 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:41am

SandStorm wrote:you can select the contacts you want, and store them in one group for unwanted callers.
all you have to do, is just configure that group with a empty sound file.


nice thinking :)
A35 -> A50 -> C65 -> SE K608 :( -> EF81 -> E71
brebe85
A step away from n00biness
A step away from n00biness
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby brebe85 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:12pm

hi guys, i need an advice.

I was thinking to sell my phone to my girlfriend and after that hope i will buy an e71. What do you think?

My arguments:
- better mp3 player
- better organiser
- rich menu
- radio FM

Disadvantages (in my opinion):
- the FM radio can not be minimzed
- i read that this phone is not supporting MIDP 1.0 (but it has 2.0)
A35 -> A50 -> C65 -> SE K608 :( -> EF81 -> E71
brebe85
A step away from n00biness
A step away from n00biness
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby SandStorm » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:49pm

E71 is a really nice allrounder.
Good MP3 with good sound, also, the built-in loudspeaker have one rich sound while playing musics.
Yes, in music, E71 is much better than EF81.

For sure, the E71 organizer is better.
Proper notes function, proper task lists, one good calendar, among other things.

Not using Midp 1.0 apps? i disagree, because until now, all midp 2.0 phones can play midp 1.0 apps.

Want a good try? go to midlet.org or getjar.com and download one of those plain apps xD They are usually made in midp 1.0 :P
User avatar
SandStorm
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 11447
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:53pm
Location: Portugal

Postby DireWolf » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:54pm

Also, the camera is worse and it doesn't have UMTS (but instead has EDGE).

Personally, between the two, I'd prefer the E71 too. :)
(but, if a third choice was the SXG75, I'd choose it because of IrDA, hot-swap, attachable flash, GPS and backgroundable radio ;))
User avatar
DireWolf
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:29pm
Location: Barreiro, Portugal
PreviousNext

Return to EF51, EF71, EF81 and EF91

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest